There are lots of different variants of the Spanish Paella out there. The authentic...
- ½ pound Boneless chicken pieces
- 2 small Garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin, ground
- 1/3 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Curry powder
- ½ oz Lemon juice, fresh
- 4 (quarter inch thick) Tomato slices
- ½ cup Romaine lettuce ( chopped)
- 2 ( 6 inch each) Pitas
- Cooking spray
Shawarma originates from the Middle East. It is traditionally known as garlicky meat delicacy served inside pita breads. The best condiment to go with this dish is the simple yogurt lemon sauce.
You will need skewers and a makeshift grill for the stove. In winters, this is the perfect recipe to go with when you know you can’t work the grill outside. Chicken Shawarma is one those recipes from the Middle East that people who do not have an accustomed palate will find that they like as well.
- 1. Start by preheating the grill on medium high flame.
2. Prepare the chicken by first combining the lemon juice, curry powder, olive oil, ground cumin, and garlic cloves in a separate clean and dry bowl.
3. Once these ingredients are nicely incorporated, mix the chicken into these. Toss to coat well. Let this food be for around 18 minutes.
4. While this goes on, prepare the sauce. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk them together.
5. Thread the chicken pieces on skewers (12 inch) and place these on a grill rack. Before you do so, do not forget to coat the rack with cooking spray. Grill the chicken for 4 minutes on each side till it is nicely cooked.
6. At this point place the pitas separately on a grill rack, grill them for a minute on each side until you see that these are lightly toasted, not too much. Place the pitas on the serving plates, top them with lettuce, tomato slices and chicken. Top the servings with the lemon sauce.
7. When serving roll the pita over the filling victuals.
And there you go – the easiest recipe to prepare. Even though this is a Middle Eastern dish, most of the ingredients that you will need in this recipe are easily available in your pantry, and if you are under- stocked, you can find them in the local grocery store near you.
So what are you waiting for? Prepare this dish today and show it off to all your friends. Next time you feel like having something with that smoky flavor of a barbeque grill, make Shawarmas! They save you time and are super delicious. Remember to make extra sauce it you like to dip and eat.