Pasta is an important part of Italian cuisine, and it is a staple food...
- 4 Flour Tortillas/ roti’s
- 2 cups Shredded and cooked chicken breast
- ½ cup Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Sliced onions
- 1 cup Chopped tomatoes
- Finely Chopped Cilantro/Lettuce
- 1 Clove Garlic finely chopped
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- (optional) Chili powder
Burritos are Mexican-American staple which is basically a tortilla made out of maize flour rolled out with a lot of stuffing inside. What makes it versatile from other dishes is that the ability to undergo a metamorphosis process. The traditional burritos are not at all similar to what we eat today. How the change did happen and when exactly it happened is still a mystery. Burritos, served on the northern side of Mexico, are completely different from that serves in the southern part of the USA. The popular dish called Taco you can get in the Northern part of the USA are Northern burritos, which are made exactly as that of preparing burritos.
The real origin of Burritos is not still known, but we are prompt to believe that, it may have originated in the US within the Mexican community in the 19th century. It was a breakfast for old farm workers who made burritos with tortillas, wrapped them in a foil, and took it to their workplace.
The filling is what makes Burritos different; you can make it with chicken or any other meat. In the USA, the fillings include a combination of Mexican rice, lettuce, any meat, salsa, refried beans, cheese and sour cream. In the Indian version, tortillas are substituted with chapattis or roti’s and beans are replaced with tomatoes and capsicum. Instead of Mexican salsa and sauce, Indian spices like garlic, chili powder and onions are used. Burritos are generally healthy as they provide adequate nutrients.
It is a semi- Indian version of Mexican Chicken Burritos. If you want to add more Indian flavor, you can add some chicken masala, chili powder, and pepper powder while cooking the chicken. You can also substitute tortillas with roti’s or chapattis. Or else if you want to have the original Mexican flavors, add some refried beans and enchilada sauce and cut off all those Indian flavors giving ingredients.
- Heat vegetable oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add the shredded chicken piece and sauté well for a few minutes over high heat.
- Keep aside the chicken pieces and cook the onion until it becomes soft.
- Add garlic, salt and chili powder if needed.
- Mix the half-cooked chicken pieces along with onions and cook over medium heat until done.
- Microwave four tortillas for 10 seconds on high so that it will become soft.
- Spread some shredded cilantro or lettuce onto each tortilla pieces.
- Top it with cooked chicken, onion mix, tomatoes, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Roll up the burritos and cut into two pieces and it is ready to serve.